Virtual Reality (VR) is gaining huge attention among people since the past few years, and its demand is quite visible, to make it simple and short, let just say it gives a 360-degree view or a panoramic view of a game or a video. A fascinating thing is that it was only limited in the tech space area, but since Google launched the Cardboard, which gives the way for common people to turn their smartphone into Virtual reality. VR can be said as a technology that has taken over 3D and the old traditional sensing system. Now, if you are someone, who is thinking of enjoying the VR video players content at home, then there certain ways through which can do it.
Before getting started there are certain requirement which you must fulfil in order to watch VR content, a first of all, for watching VR content, you must have a smartphone/ MAC/ PC, second make sure you have a VR headset, a VR video players or movie, get one of the video players mentioned below in this article and last but not the least make sure that you have a swivel chair which can rotate in all direction.
Now, some people may think a VR headset might be quite expensive, but the thing is you don’t need to buy an expensive VR headset if your budget doesn’t permit, there are multiple cheap headsets available in Online portals like Amazon, which price starts from 199 rupees, now depending on your device make the purchase, and carefully pick one matching your device specification.
Types of VR video players headsets:
Some people may or may not know, there are actually two types of headset, one is the Mobile and the other type is tethered.
Tethered VR headsets: Tethered headsets comes with an integrated display that comes with a wire which can be connected to a PC or any kind of game system. In comparison to Mobile VR headsets, Tethered VR headsets are usually expensive and large. Tethered headset also comes with more advanced tracking and motion sensing system with respect to Mobile VR headsets, not only this, they are designed in a way, through which makes them capable of working with gamepads, keyboards and other physical control.
Mobile VR headsets: Mobile headset are usually cheap, and uses a smartphone for displaying and process, they don’t contain any kind of integrated display, like Tethered VR headsets. A mobile VR headset splits your smartphone’s phone display into two screens. So here are some best VR headsets which you can buy, if you are thinking of watching VR videos or games at your home.
Google Cardboard: Google Cardboard can be said as the most common Mobile VR headset, the Google Cardboard uses your smartphone as the display, and the best part about the Google Cardboard is that you can use any smartphone that fits the headset. As you can say from the name the VR video players is quite cheap and has only one mechanical part that is the ViewMaster lever placed at the right-hand side.
The only thing to look for is that, your smartphone must be equipped with a Gyroscope sensor or else you will face problem while playing videos, and it should have a good resolution. Google also offers a DIY project, where you can download the instruction and can make your own VR headset. It might not offer the best VR experience, but it still does a decent job. Google cardboard are easily available in Online platforms like Amazon, Google Play Store, etc.
Oculus Rift VR: Like Google Cardboard, the Oculus Rift VR is also a highly popular VR device, but it’s a Tethered , the Oculus Rift VR project was started initially by Palmer Luckey, which was later brought by Facebook at a whopping amount 2 $ Billon dollars. The Oculus Rift VR can be regarded as one of the best VR headset ever built. The device comes with integrated headphones that offer a 3D audio effect, it comes with a resolution of (1080*1920). The device recommended specification include Nvidia GTX 970M/AMD R9 220 graphics card, 8 GB of RAM, etc. If you are Windows user then, the Oculus Rift VR is one of the best options for a VR to go with.
HTC vive/Stream VR: Joining the competition is HTC with the Vive VR, HTC has targeted the Vive VR to go against Oculus Rift VR. Apart from the VR set, the Vive packs a headset, two motion controller, two base stations using which an entire whole room can be defined as VR area. The Vive is also a Tethered VR, and requires a high specification for working, the recommended specification is Intel i5 4th generation CPU paired with GeForce GTX 970 GPU. The integrated display in Vive offers a resolution of (2160×1200). The only disappointing thing about the HTC Vive is its price which is around 800 dollar.
LG 360 VR: While releasing the world’s first modular smartphone i.e. LG G5, LG too heated up the VR race by introducing their new 360 VR. Unlike other Mobile VRs, the 360 VR is a kind of unique, the most interesting thing about the VR is that it doesn’t use the smartphone for displaying, the VR comes with a USB Type-C cable, which you can connect with the G5. The LG 360 VR. The price of the LG 360 VR starts from 299$.
PlayStation VR: If you are gamer then this VR is made for you, earlier known as Sony Morpheus, Sony has changed the name and named it as the Sony PlayStation VR, the PlayStation boast a 5.7-inch LED display, having a resolution of (1080×1920 p) with a refresh rate of 120 GHz, the design of the PlayStation VR makes it very attractive, this VR is for those, who want a rich gaming experience on their PlayStation.
Samsung Gear VR: After releasing the Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung went ahead and unveiled their new VR headset, the Samsung Gear VR. For making the Gear VR headset, Samsung partnered with Oculus. The smartphone that will be supported by the Gear VR is the Galaxy Series, as a reason, Samsung now is offering the Gear VR for free with the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. One of the good thing about the Gear VR is that it is quite light if you comparing it with other VR headset available in the market. So if you own a Samsung Galaxy smartphone then the Gear VR is the VR headset you should go with. Samsung has priced the Gear VR at $99.
Microsoft HoloLens: It would be fair enough to say that, the HoloLens is the most expensive VR set ever built. But there is a reason for that, the HoloLens is quite different from other VR headsets and is a Standalone headset, which is a reason it doesn’t need any kind of third party application to run. The HoloLens has the ability to project holographic projection in air, Microsoft has integrated an application for HoloLens with the Windows 10 OS. Running on a battery, the HoloLens offers the best holographic experience you’ll find. Microsoft has priced the HoloLens at $3000 and is targeted for industries like Medical, Media, Animation, etc.
Razer OSVR: Razer’s OSVR aka Open Source Virtual Reality is an ambitious project, which is completely different compared to other VR headset available in the market, unlike other VR headsets comes with their own SDKs, Razer’s OSVR doesn’t have their own SDK and is only limited to the hardware device. The Razer OSVR packs a 5.5-inch OLED screen featuring a resolution of (1920×1080 p), sensors like gyroscope, compass and accelerometer is also included. Razer OSVR gives the freedom to the developer for developing their own VR applications independent of the hardware. Razer OSVR comes with hardware requirements. Companies like Intel and Ubisoft have already signed up for this project, which is a clear indication that in future Razer OSVR will be aimed for gaming consoles purposes.
Best VR Video Players App For You:
As you already got the information of various VR headsets, so now let’s move on and talk about the different VR video players which you will need in order to play those VR video files, so given below are the top VR video players which you must have for playing VR video contents:-
1.VR Player Free: As you can tell from the name, VR Player Free application is specifically developed for playing Virtual Reality videos and it is common name among Oculus Rift user, this application is easily available in Google Play store, and is designed for head mounted devices mobile VR headset, users can enjoy HD video playback, immersive media experience, 360̊ live streams, 2D/3D images, and videos, etc. However, the free version is an entry level immersive, so if you need this application for Oculus Rift, then it is recommended that you go for the PRO version.
- 5K Player: Recognized as one of the best free video players for MAC and Windows, 5K Player is also a very good playing 360-degree videos apart from playing 3D videos. One of the main reason for using the 5K Player is that it allows you to download VR content videos from various sites like Youtube, Facebook, etc. If you own a Apple TV, then you will be able to stream VR content videos form your MAC or Windows to your Apple TV. So not only you’ll be able to download VR video content from more 300 sites, but you will be able to watch those videos in large screen. Recognized as one of the best free video players for MAC and Windows, 5K Player is also a very good playing 360-degree videos apart from playing 3D videos. One of the main reason for using the 5K Player is that it allows you to download VR content videos from various sites like Youtube, Facebook, etc. If you own a Apple TV, then you will be able to stream VR content videos from your MAC or Windows to your Apple TV. So not only you’ll be able to download VR video players content from more 300 sites, but you will be able to watch those videos in large screen.
- Kolor Eyes: Kolor Eyes is another free 360̊ video player build for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android O.S. The Kolor Eyes video player allows users to play and interact with 360̊ degrees videos on your computer. It also comes with features turning at 360 degrees, you can also change the projection, zoom in and zoom out, apply visual effects, play videos online and connect your Android or iOS device with the VR headset.
4. Total Cinema 360 Oculus Player: Total Cinema 360 Oculus Player aka TC 360 Oculus Player is a free player that lets you enjoy 360 videos on your PC and Mac. By using a good quality headset you can seamlessly enjoy and immerse yourself in non-linear narratives and 360-degree soundscapes. This application can be used in Android, iOS, MAC and Windows OS. You can use this application for viewing VR contents online.
- RiftMax: RiftMax is not only a VR video players, but it also lets you create a virtual world of your own. Using this application, not only you can view 360 VR video contents online, but it also lets you share a movie, sing a song with your friends even if they are miles away. It also offers some high-quality real effects that come out of the screen. If you want an application that will you give you some real feeling while watching VR content then RiftMax is the best option to go with. RiftMax can be used in Windows or MAC OS platforms.
- Mobile VR Station: If you own iPAD then you should go for Mobiel VR Station, the app not only supports MAC, iOS, etc, but the application is designed with head tracking , which allows you to watch photos, videos, files on a virtual floating screen, and it is probably compatible with most of the VR headsets.
7. Homido 360 VR Player: Homido Video player is also another good option for viewing VR video players content, the application is developed by Homido, which is a VR headset developer. The application allows you to watch VR video content on your Android and iOS smartphone. The application also comes with a built-in browser which lets you browse the web, download, watch a movie, and all these can be done without removing your smartphone that you have plugged into your headset.
So, these were some top VR headsets and VR video players which you can get for enjoying VR video content in your own home. If you have any queries then feel free to contact us commenting in the comment section below.